Tuesday 28 June 2011

…And We’re Back! Plus, a Day in the Life

Hello again dear readers! It’s been too long; I’ve missed your smiling faces (or at least my imagination of said faces). How’ve you been? A quick recap of the past month or so:
Apropos: As we were moving our last couple boxes out of our old apartment, the cops were at our house looking for the landlord’s grandson… again.
Torture: Navigating furniture and a metric ton of boxes into a 3rd floor walk-up.
Traumatized: Our cats for the entire 10 hours worth of moving from one place to another (Fitzy was balled up in his carrier throughout the entire experience)
Boxed Chaos: The first week or so of our new 450 sq ft apartment. Just about everything aside from the tchotchkes has found a place, though there still is one lone box of random junk in the living room, taunting us.
Borderline Chaos: Just about every children’s kung fu class I’ve taught at my new job so far. Things are getting incrementally better as we are increasingly standardizing the curriculum and partitioning classes into concise and dependable “blocks.”
Magnificent: The amount of sunlight we’ve been waking up to every morning.
Positively Delightful: Being able to cook in an awesome kitchen! There’s a dishwasher and everything!!! (While this may seem trivial to some, I assure you this makes our lives infinitesimally more pleasant.)



I had this Monday off, so I thought I would start things back up with a tour of what I eat when I’m left to my own devices.
Breakfast:

(Apparently, the cat helped make my tea.)

Nothing fancy, eggs over easy on Trader Joe’s english muffins, slathered in Frank’s Red Hot. Normally I’d just make toast, BUT there was not bread to be had. At least, not until…


The inaugural first batch of sourdough bread was ready!

oooo, an oven light. How novel!


It’d been almost a month since I’d baked some bread, so believe me, I was going through withdrawal. Luckily, my sourdough starter “pet” is a hardy soul. All starters tend to be nearly impervious to death, but I like to think mine is PARTICULARLY hardy (despite my constant pampering and cooing).


Lunch:
The bread was out and cooled enough in time for lunch, where I made a sandwich of sorts from the leftover Moqueca that was in the fridge (I’ll share my recipe soon, don’t worry!).

Dinner:
I decided to go lazy/fancy, with some spicy breaded lime chicken, mushrooms & garlic in vinegar, corn on the cob and a salad.


Sorry the dinner pictures are so horrible, we were starving and didn’t really want to wait around while I plated things nicely.
The highlight of dinner turned out to be the chicken; absolutely delightful! I’d added some dried chilis to the bread crumbs, which gave it the perfect zing. Here’s the recipe in case you want to give it a try:
Spicy Breaded Lime Chicken
  • Juice of 2 limes

  • Bread crumbs

  • 4-6 dried chilis chopped finely

  • Salt & pepper

  • 2.5lbs chicken breasts (sliced across to make thinner)

  • 2-4tbsp evoo

  • 1. Pour lime over chicken breasts, let sit for 5-15 minutes
    2. Combine bread crumbs, chili, salt and pepper in a bowl
    3. Dredge chicken pieces in batter
    4. In a large pan, heat oil to high temperature, then fry chicken on both sides until batter is browned
    5. Transfer done pieces to a plate with a paper towel to drain

    No comments:

    Post a Comment